What kind of power supply is needed?
Power supply is a very important partcomputer. It supplies the converted network voltage, to the components of the system unit. It also reduces the amount of interference of the supplied voltage and directly participates in cooling the computer, since it is equipped with a fan (cooler).
It is important that the power supply unit you are usingget, was qualitative, after all its breakdown can lead to useless motherboard, the processor and other elements of the computer as a whole. In general, choosing a power supply for a computer is not so difficult. The main thing is to determine which power supply is needed, because the characteristics of computers are quite different. Let's start, of course, with the characteristics that should be taken into account:
- What is the power of the power supply unit?
- Who produced the power supply unit?
- Quality of parts and assembly.
- Which cooling system is installed?
- Are there any necessary connectors to connect?
- What type of power supply is needed, standard or modular?
- Power factor correction.
- Constructive differences.
Now about each characteristic separately.
In order to know which power supply is better,for your computer, you need to count the clock power of all the peripherals installed in your system unit. Starting from the processor and ending with coolers. Calculating this figure, you will get a certain amount, based on which and it is worth choosing a power supply. Of course, you can take it with a margin, the main thing is that there is not a shortage of power.
This characteristic can be said to behas many sides. On the one hand, the choice of brand, allows you to be confident in the quality and longitude of the service unit, and on the other hand, they are, after all, worth the money. In general, of course, it is better to overpay, but be sure of the health of your computer tomorrow.
- Here's what power supply to choose better: Gigabyte, HEC, HiperTopower, OCZ, PowerMan Pro, Seasonic, Thermaltake, ZIPPY, Zalman, XFX.
- Now power supplies of medium quality: Hercules, HiPro, INWIN (PowerMan), MEC, Microlab, Tsunami.
- And power supplies that should not be taken: Gembird, GoldenPower, Linkworld, Microlab (cheap models), PowerBox, Power Master (cheap models).
It is worth noting that the choice of a cheap power supplydoes not mean that it will quickly break. Simply, the probability of its premature failure is much higher than that of branded power supply units.
To see what kind of a certain power supply can be, by the following criteria:
- A quality power supply must be supplied in a box with a fastener and instruction, and there must also be a passport for the product.
- Efficiency, or efficiency, whichquality blocks should not be lower than 80-85%. The efficiency of power supplies is the ratio of the output power and the one that is consumed. And what kind of power supply is better, you can immediately determine by its coefficients.
- On the power supply itself, its characteristics
- The weight of a good block should be not less than 2 kg. Its mass directly depends on the thickness of the walls of the radiators, their number, as well as the size of the chokes.
- As a rule, power supplies are cooled by special fans - coolers. In modern units, cooler sizes of 80x80, or 120x120mm are used. Install the cooler or the side of the unit, or from below.
- If there is one cooler on the power supplythe size of only 80x80, this may indicate its low quality. The cooler of larger size, 120х120 cool power supply more confidently, and also have a low noise level. The power unit with increased power, should be equipped with two coolers. Also, it is worth noting that qualitative coolers can also have a cooler of 80x80 size, but provided that the radiators with expanded fins are used in the design.
- High-quality power supplies regulatethe rotational speed of the cooler, depending on how much the processor is currently loaded. After all, with increased loads, the heat release of the components grows. Adjusts the rotation of the coolers, by means of pulse-width modulation, or simply put, by applying a different voltage to them. That's why, if you do not want your computer to make noise, take a closer look at this characteristic.
In order to know how to choose a power supply, you need to know the presence of all the connectors necessary for your devices, which they connect to the unit.
- By connecting certain plugs,all sorts of connectors, power is supplied to all peripheral devices of the computer. Therefore, when selecting a power supply, note the presence of all these plugs, and their length.
- The number of connectors and plugs must be either equal to or larger than planned on your PC
- The length of the plug cables must be no less than 30 cm. It is better when this distance is longer, but not much, no matter what it is necessary to shorten.
There are 2 types of power supplies. The first is a standard block in which all wires are connected without the possibility of disconnecting the extra plugs. And another type is modular, in which the cable can be disconnected and connected as needed, thereby reducing the temperature in the system unit by cutting off excess wires. But modular power supplies are more expensive than conventional ones, so if finances permit, the best choice will be the modular unit.
Power factor correction -which lowers the voltage spikes and provides more stable power to the computer components. Technically it is a circuit or inductor.
Without opening the case of the power supply unit, say whatquality of its assembly, is almost impossible. This indicator, can declare itself not at once, but somewhere in half a year of work. So, if you saved, while you were told in the store that this power supply, although cheap, but high-quality, you can not flatter yourself, since only branded power supplies that cost a couple of times more expensive than conventional ones can boast of high-quality assembly. Hence the following proposition follows.
Inexpensive power supplies are manufactured and soldwith little or no guarantee. On power supplies more expensive, given a guarantee of six months or more. This is due to the manufacturer's confidence in its product. There are power supplies with a warranty and at 3 years.
You read the article and still thought of itpurchase a computer power supply. How to choose an inexpensive and high-quality? The answer, in fact, is very simple. Each brand manufacturer tries to produce in its model range, a product that would be both high-quality and at the same time inexpensive, that is, a budget option. But looking at what goals, you use your computer. If you need it only for work, then you are lucky, you will manage with an inexpensive purchase. But if you use your PC as a gaming center, or a center for designing any models using complex software, then you have to pay a good amount of money for a good power supply, unless you want your expensive computer to "fly" from for poor-quality or cheap power supply.