What is history?
Every educated person should know what history is, what this science is studying. After all, the past for each generation is the basis of its future. In this article we will talk about history as a science.
What is history: definition
History is a humanitarian science, a field of knowledge about human activities in the past. This can include important events, social life, world outlook, social ties and so on.
The word "history" has Greek roots (ἱστορία, historia), the origin of the pre-Indo-European (the word wid-tor, that is, to know, to see). In Russian, these words are "see" and "know".
History as a science
In order to understand the basics of the processes thatoccur in today's world, it is necessary to draw analogies. But analogies can be carried out in comparison with anything. That is, the analogy is, in its essence, a comparison with the derivation of similar and distinctive moments for determining the pattern. What can be compared with today's processes? With those processes that occurred before us.
History was created as a science,to draw analogies with the processes of formation of politics and economy in different states with today's formation processes. Why is this necessary? In order to avoid making mistakes in the creation of new economic strategies for interaction between states, one must familiarize themselves with this experience with their ancestors.
This science has many uses. But we must remember that today's events are documented in accordance with the law. And, means, in due course, these documents will already become historical property.
What does history study?
History is a science that studies events and phenomena,which occurred in human life and influenced his life in the past. It would be difficult to describe the purpose of this science with one sentence, since the meaning of the story consists of several tasks:
- the study of events that took place in the past, on the basis of facts to determine the culture and way of life of people who existed in previous centuries;
- determination of links and regularities between the events taking place at the same time to determine the reasons for the origin of these events;
- study of everyday life and culture of different peoples on the basis of factual evidence, which were found as a result of archaeological excavations or were documented by the chroniclers of those years.
Methods in History
The methodology of history is historicaldiscipline, with the help of which the object of historical science is determined, the goal of historical knowledge. This discipline develops the theory of historical knowledge (the basis of philosophy, epistemology, epistemology, methods of historical knowledge, forms of historical knowledge).
Historical sources are all documents anditems relating to the material culture, which reflects the historical process and captured facts and events. On the basis of these documents and objects, the idea of the historical epoch to which they belonged is recreated, and hypotheses about the cause-and-effect relationships that triggered certain historical events are put forward.
Why study history?
The great Russian scientist Mikhail Lomonosovhis scientific work on the history of the Slavs said: "People who do not know their past, has no future." This statement is true for the reason that for the safe existence in the world it is necessary to take into account the mistakes of ancestors committed in certain situations, in the social and economic plans of society.
The value of research
Thanks to historical research up toof modern society information has been received on internal events in the organization of which foreign subversives from countries that are competitors in geopolitical interests took part. From the historical facts to today's society has reached the very notion of diversion. Information about coups and revolutions in different states of those times, as well as information on the planning of economic development within the state, helps today's society not to make similar mistakes in order not to find itself in the same crisis situation as the ancestors turned out to be.
- Herodotus is an ancient Greek historian;
- Bayer Gottlieb Siegfried (1694-1738) - German historian, philologist;
- Karamzin Nikolai Mikhailovich (1776 - 1826) - an outstanding historian, author of the work "The History of the Russian State";
- Soloviev Sergey Mikhailovich (1820 - 1879) - historian, is the founder of the public school in Russian historiography. The author of the work "The History of Russia from Ancient Times";
- Golitsyn Nikolai Nikolaevich (1836-1893) - prince, bibliographer, historian, publicist;
- Klyuchevsky Vasily Osipovich (1841 - 1911) - an outstanding Russian historian;
- Weber Max (1864-1920) - German sociologist, historian, economist and lawyer;
- Kapitsa Mikhail Stepanovich (1921-1995) - Russianhistorian, diplomat, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences (1991, Corresponding Member of the USSR Academy of Sciences since 1987). The main works on the latest history of China and international relations in the Far East and South-East Asia. The State Prize of the USSR (1982).
Now you know what history is. Perhaps you will also be interested in other articles of our site. What does history study and why is history needed.