How to use the TV as a monitor?
Agree that on the big screen and the movielooks brighter, and the game is exciting. To date, modern technology allows you to use the TV as a computer monitor. Thanks to this connection you can not only watch video, play computer games, but also work and hold presentations. In this article, we'll look at various ways to connect a TV instead of a monitor.
It is worth noting that the type of connection between the TV and your computer depends on technical characteristics such as the computer's power, its performance, and the availability of ports.
Connection via HDMI cable
For today it is the most popular and high-quality way of connecting the monitor to a computer.
The HDMI / HDMI cable transfers digital video and audio. This feature allows you not to use the speakers when you connect, but use the sound from the TV.
- Before connecting, you must purchase a HDMI / HDMI cable in the dedicated store. The length of the cable you choose depends on the distance between the computer and the monitor;
- Connect one end of the cable to the TV socket on the back or rear panel;
- Connect the other end to the computer, the connector is on the back of the case in the video card or the computer's motherboard.
Connection via DVI / HDMI cable
This method is also common due to the fact that not all computers are equipped with an HDMI port. The difference between this type of connection is that it does not transmit an audio signal.
- First, get a DVI / HDMI cable;
- Connect the ends of the cable to the corresponding ports on the devices;
- Take care of quality connection of sound, if necessary.
Connection via VGA cable
This type of connection is popular due to,that most computers have this port. Most often, the monitor is connected via a port to a computer. Therefore, the TV can be not only an additional monitor, but also the main one.
Please note that this type of connection transmits an analog signal, which means that the transmitted signal will be times worse.
- We buy a VGA cable of the required length;
- Connect the ends to the corresponding device ports;
- If you do not have a second VGA connector on your computer, and you want to use the TV as an additional monitor, buy a special DVI / VGA adapter in the store.
For more details, see How to connect a TV via VGA.
Connection via S-video cable
This method of connection is obsolete and very rarely anyone resorts to it. The S-video cable transmits an analog signal, so the quality will also be poor.
We buy the appropriate cable and connect it to the connectors.
After connecting one of the following methods, you must turn on the devices and configure them:
- On the TV, select the appropriate signal source.
- On the PC, you can enable several display modes: TV as the main screen, duplicate or advanced. All these settings are in the control panel, then go to the screen settings section.
Look for useful information also in articles How to connect a TV to a computer and How to connect a laptop to a TV.