How to plant grapes?
Watch the video
Grapes are a popular fruit-bearing plant,which is suitable for planting both in the suburban and in the local areas. To begin to harvest from it a few years later, it is necessary to choose the right place for him. It is also important to plant it according to the main recommendations.
Select a location
It should be noted that grapes representa light and heat-loving plant, so choose a place for planting is necessary in view of this. To locate seedlings or cuttings, choose the southern, western or south-western side of any buildings. In the afternoon they will be heated from the sun and during the night they will give the plants extra heat. As a result, you can get ripe and sweet berries much earlier. You can also plant grapes on the western, south-western and southern slopes. In this case, it is impossible to place cuttings and seedlings in their lower part, as well as near trees. The distance from them should be at least 4 meters.
Choosing the soil
Soil is also important for activegrowth of grapes and good fruiting. It is better, if it will be sandy, clayey or silty, also suitable areas where there is a combination of them in one way or another. Such soils perfectly conduct water and well nourish the roots of grapes. However, they should not be acidic or waterlogged. On them grapes can grow and not yield a crop for a long time.
Also of great importance is the depth of locationgroundwater. It should be at least 1.5 meters. If the level of groundwater is higher, then it will be necessary to create an artificial layer of soil to the required thickness from the earth, sand and small gravel. As for the pH of the soil, it must be neutral or slightly alkaline.
When to plant grapes?
For planting grapes, you can choose the spring orautumn. So, from mid-April to mid-May, cuttings should be planted. Whereas, starting in October, seedlings can be planted. But it is important to do this before the first frost.
Spring is best used for plantingThe cuttings, in which the movement of juices has not yet begun. First they will need to be soaked in water for 2-3 days, but you must first refresh their slices. Then, at 12 o'clock, cuttings should be put into a solution of natural honey (25 ml of honey per 1 liter of water). After that, you need to act like this:
- Prepare the pits for the cuttings. Their size should be as follows: 80x80x105 cm
- Fill each pit with a mixture of fertilizers, humus and earth, pour in and leave for 2 weeks.
- During this time the soil will settle. In it, make holes to a depth of about 60 cm, and then plant the seedlings in them from the containers together with the earthen lump that will be present in them.
- Next to each plant, install the pegs and tie them up.
- Fill the wells with fertile soil, and then pour.
Planting of seedlings
Deciding to plant grapes in autumn, it is necessaryto purchase healthy seedlings. Their root on the cut must be white, and the eyes when pressed should not fall off. Then you need to do the following work:
- Find a suitable place for planting the grapes according to the above recommendations.
- Dig a hole under the seedlings. For each of them, it should have approximately the following dimensions: 80x80x80 cm.
- In a ready pit, fill in mineral fertilizers, humus and soil - allthese components should preferably be taken in equal parts.
- After that, seal the nutrient layer. For this you can use a rammer.
- Do in the center of the pit a small layer of nutrient soil and place a seedling in it.
- Start to fill the pit and grapes with soil without fertilizers, and then compact.
- Pour the planted seedling with 3-4 buckets of water.
- Be sure to cover it with a cropped plastic bottle - this will allow it to better take up, as it will not be exposed to strong negative environmental factors.
- Before strong frosts, always fill each well with seedlings with a layer of peat, sawdust and needles, and then cover them with some moisture and windproof material so that they do not rot in the winter.