How to make an artificial stone?
Watch the video
Artificial stone is very popularfinishing material: it is intended for both facades of buildings and structures, and for interior decoration. In addition, the material is used in landscape design, as well as to create decorative elements of the interior.
In the article, we will look at how to make an artificial stone with our own hands.
Types of artificial stone
Let's look at varieties of artificial stones in order to reveal which stone can be made independently.
- Ceramic stone. To create a material, roasting of raw materials is required at a sufficiently high temperature. To produce this species, large areas and qualified personnel are needed;
- Gypsum stone. Used for interior decoration of the room. It does not involve high costs for raw materials and production. You can make a stone with your own hands;
- Concrete (forming) stone. In contrast to gypsum can be used for finishing the facade of the building. Raw materials for production at the same time more expensive. It is possible to make an independent stone;
- Concrete (monumental) stone. Usually involves piece production. A stone is made at the installation site;
- Polyester stone. The manufacturing process involves solidifying the raw materials in the vacuum space at high temperature. At home, it is impossible to make;
- Acrylic stone. Production conditions are similar to gypsum stone, so the process of making one's own hands is possible;
- A liquid stone. Components for preparation are gel and resin. Examples of liquid stones are marble, quartz, granite. You can do it yourself.
Self-made artificial stone
For the process of making an artificial stone with their own hands will need an injection mixture and shape.
The form can be purchased at a specialized store or also made independently of silicone. One silicone form can be used approximately thirty times.
- Cover the smooth surface with polyethylene and lay out several rows of natural stones of different shapes and sizes.
- On the perimeter of the stones, install a frame of wood or plastic (beadshould be above the stones for a couple of centimeters).
- Stains stones and the inside of the sides with a solidol.
- Extrude the liquid silicone so that it spreads over the entire surface of the natural stones.
- Dilute the detergent for the dishes in a glass of water.
- Moisten a wide flat paint brush in the solution and smooth the surface of the silicone.
- Leave the form to dry in a dark ventilated room for two to four days.
Inexpensive material for finishing the room with their own hands is considered to be gypsum and concrete.
Composition of the mixture:
- Dry gypsum;
- water (two thirds of the volume of gypsum);
- a pinch of citric acid;
- Dilute the gypsum mixture with water and add a pinch of acid to avoid rapid hardening of the material. Take the amount of raw materials per one or two forms.
- Add the pigment to give the desired color.
- Spread the mixture with grease, pour out the mixture and leave for ten minutes.
Composition of the mixture:
- sand (one part);
- cement (three parts);
- Mix sand and cement in specified proportions.
- Add the dye to the mixture.
- Spread the mixture with grease, pour out the mixture and allow to dry for three days.
Ideas for home interior look for in our article How to make the house more beautiful.