How long does the primer dry? Primer: characteristics, reviews
Fully refurbishing a new residential building orperforming ordinary repair work, many developers in the search for useful information often wonder about what is needed for such a finishing material as a primer, and whether you can do without it. Of course, nothing prevents from neglecting the application of this mixture, but the final result of all further manipulations with the treatment of a particular surface of the room may be far from ideal. This is primarily due to the fact that this solution plays an important role in the finishing process. Therefore, its properties and species should be considered in more detail, as well as focusing on how much the primer dries, since non-observance of certain time frames can substantially spoil seemingly irreproachable repairs.
Necessity to use a primer
In the event that the surface is processed by the requiredmixture, finishing materials such as paint, mastic, decorative plaster, etc., will lie on it much better. In addition, almost every primer is enriched with special antifungal components, which have an antiseptic effect and prevent the appearance of mold. The choice of a solution is influenced by the type of the room being equipped, as well as the features of the surface to be treated.
In the event that the primer is selectedincorrect, there is not only an immediate threat to the quality of the repairs performed, but also a health hazard, since those compounds that are not intended for application in a residential area can be very toxic.
Externally, any primer, the characteristics of which,nevertheless, can vary, is a liquid mixture enriched with polymers and other useful substances. Its main purpose is the basis for other coatings. Due to the lack of any decorative properties such solutions are never used for the purpose of facial decoration, which, however, does not in the least reduce the need for their use.
Categories of primer mixes
If earlier to perform various repairIt was decided to apply the same primer, but today, thanks to the development of production technologies and a wide choice, it is possible to use any solution suitable for various purposes.
As mentioned above, primer applicationa certain type depends on what the treated surface is, and also on the climatic conditions in the room, in particular, it concerns humidity.
As a rule, the main components of each mixtureare tar, bitumen, various types of glue and oil, as well as special reagents. It is based on what special additives are used, and there is a division of the product into the following categories:
- composition based on acrylic (well applied and suitable for almost any surface);
- alkyd mixture (can be used for surfaces that are difficult to texture like PVC, tile or steel);
- aqueous solution (colorless material, suitable only for interior decoration);
- priming, the main components of which are minerals (consists of cement and can be used exclusively for working with concrete or brick, and also serves to align the desired area);
- highly specialized compounds.
Of course, each mixture must be selected individually, but it is worthwhile to allocate, perhaps, such a solution as an acrylic primer, the universal use system of which makes it truly irreplaceable.
How much should the primer dry
Know the time required for this solution to completedrying, is required for several reasons. So, only after the polymerization is complete can the next stage of finishing work begin. Detailed information will help you to plan time correctly and spend it as rationally as possible. The feedback notes that this is especially important when performing major repairs, when every minute counts on the account.
To find out how much primer dries, it is necessary to study the factors that influence this process, as well as to understand the peculiarities of the polymerization of a solution.
Factors affecting the drying of primer mixes
To understand how long it takes a solution to fully solidify, it is possible in the following way: by determining the criteria that affect this term. Among them are the following:
- Basic components of composition. In the event that the evaporation time of the appliedin the solvent mixture is small, and there are many solids, the primer will dry quickly. It should be noted that in accordance with this factor, water-based solutions are less advantageous, since in such formulations the solvents evaporate very rapidly.
- Structural integrity of the foundation.Here everything is absolutely logical: The deeper the mixture penetrates, the longer the evaporation process will take place. Answering the question about how much primer on the walls of this or that material dries, it should be noted that the leaders are surface compositions, since in some cases it is possible to process the required area over the solution within an hour after its application.
- Climatic conditions in the room.It will be most correct to use a primer inroom, the temperature in which is in the range from +15 to +30 ° C, and the humidity does not exceed 80%. If the indicators are different, the polymerization will take much longer, and in some cases the substance can simply never dry completely.
Do not forget that too fastthe hardening also does not go to the benefit of the mixture, since when the normal mode is violated, the adhesion properties are significantly weakened and the base is able to deform.
The polymerization time of the formulations
According to the type of material used and the term of polymerization, the following types of primer are distinguished:
- Quick-drying mixtures.These include, first of all, alkydsolutions. Such substances have a high level of toxicity, however, they can be applied over the paint after a very short time. When working with them, it is extremely important to use a respirator, goggles and gloves.
- Normally drying solutions. Often, in order to find out how much primer dries, read the manufacturer's instructions. Typically, these mixtures should be left for a period of 4 to 6 hours.
- Compositions that dry slowly.Such materials include oil-based substances. Typically, the surface treated with such a mixture is left to dry for no less than a day.
How to apply the primer correctly
As a rule, such questions arise in those,who decides to finish the premises themselves, that is, without resorting to the help of professionals. To understand how much primer on the walls dries, you need to remember about a certain technique of application.
The algorithm of the whole work is as follows:
- It is extremely important to be guided by the recommendations andadvice of the manufacturer. Especially it concerns the process of dilution of the mixture to the desired consistency, because, for example, too thick a solution can dry very long, in addition, improper preparation of the composition often causes the loss of all its adhesion properties.
- When treating the surface with a primer, it is important to avoid the appearance of streaks and drops, and the material itself is best applied with a thin layer using a roller and brush.
- The use of a penetrating mixture on a porousbasis requires the laying of the solution in several levels. In this case it is important not to forget that it is necessary to cover the surface a second time just before the final drying of the first layer.
Suitable conditions for the drying of the formulation
Specialists in interior decoration of premisesrecommend taking into account some recommendations that the primer, the universal side of which is uncontested, dries out faster and better.
If the basis for the work protruded wallpaper paste, then fix the wallpaper can and on the surface, dried up not to the end.
In the event that the contacta solution that costs a little more, but has higher technical characteristics, it will be more correct to leave the treated area for about 4 hours.
Optimal advice for those interested in topics,how much the primer dries before the wallpaper is pasted, is the following: to apply the composition in the second half of the day, and to proceed with finishing the next morning, that is, leave the material for not less than 8 hours. With this method, as noted in the reviews, the composition will definitely dry out well, and its surface will not have any flaws.
Compliance with the rules during the drying of the primer
When working with such mixtures it is extremely important to follow these rules:
- It is not recommended to allow any temperature changes in the equipped premises;
- it is very important to avoid any, even the most insignificant drafts, otherwise the primer layer may dry unevenly;
- It is harmful for the material to accelerate the process of itpolymerization by heating the surfaces by means of a hair dryer or other device that emits warm air (this does not in any way shorten the waiting period, but will only worsen the adhesion of the mixture to the base).
All of the above tips will help answer the question of how much the primer dries, and adherence to the rules of work will guarantee high-quality and durable finish.